Jerk chicken recipe - 4 people
Jerk chicken (my way) is a very spicy but so delicious Jamaican-inspired recipe!
I like to use chicken thighs for this recipe because they have more flavor and stay juicy when cooked.
The key to jerk chicken success is in the marinade. For that my secret ingredient is this spice blend that combines Jamaican pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg to give the chicken a unique flavor.
Here are my step by step recipe steps.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 to 3 lemons
- 2 limes
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 green onions
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or white)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or salt or taste)
- 2 tablespoons "jerk spices" (the more you add, the spicier the chicken will be)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- thyme to taste
- parsley to taste
- Prepare your chicken thighs by removing excess fat and skin
- Season them well with the lemons
- Let cool while you prepare the rest.
- In a blender put all the ingredients and blend until you get a smooth marinade
- Taste and adjust as needed
- Take your chicken out of the fridge
- Discard the lemon juice and pour in the marinade
- Mix everything well and leave to rest overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, prepare your barbecue and grill your chicken
Once the chicken is cooked, all you have to do is enjoy it with the accompaniment of your choice: rice, red beans, raw vegetables or even, for a sweet touch, fried sweet plantain bananas (…)
You can let your imagination run wild and adjust the spices as needed…